A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed by a Florida family against a restaurant where they say their family member ate before dying of salmonella poisoning.
Gary Kidwell, 39, died at Boca Regional Hospital on Feb. 12, 2015, after becoming sick in the fall of 2014. The family said that cultures were performed at the hospital indicated that Kidwell was suffering from a salmonella infection.
Soon after Kidwell was admitted to the hospital in 2014, his sister reported to the Palm Beach County Health Department that Kidwell had recently eaten at a Boston Market restaurant near Boynton Beach, prompting an investigation.
During the investigation of the restaurant, health inspectors found nine violations, including two involving hand washing violations. Investigators witnessed one worker fail to wash his hands and saw a sink designated as a hand-washing sink was used as a “dump sink” instead. Restaurant workers failing to wash their hands is one of the main ways salmonella is spread.
A spokesman for Boston Market said that there is no proof linking Kidwell’s illness to the restaurant.
Kidwell underwent multiple surgeries after developing salmonella sepsis. Salmonella poisoning does not usually result in death. The lawsuit seeks damages in an unspecified amount for Kidwell’s three daughters.