Only Three Percent of the Water in the World is Accessible

Only three percent of the world’s water is accessible. The rest of it we can’t drink.

You may be well aware of the fact that the planet has several saltwater oceans that make up about 97 percent of the water on Earth. But we can’t drink saltwater. This is likely where the expression “water, water, everywhere, but not a drop to drink” came from. So what? We can’t drink salt water, but there is lots more water around.

Realistically, the 97 percent of the water we all know about, see on TV and maybe swim in, we can’t drink. Period. That leaves a mere 3 percent left for human consumption and that also means there are a lot of people starting to check into the benefits of using water distillers for safe drinking water.

The 3 percent of the water we can consume comes from rivers, lakes, ponds, underground aquifers, ice and glaciers – at least what’s left of the glaciers, as they are rapidly melting. Sadly, even those sources are already polluted. How well does that bode for future generations? It doesn’t.

Did you know that roughly 20 percent of the tainted water in the world is the end result of water-based pollution? That means the kind of contamination cause when waste is dumped directly into the water. This is also referred to as point source pollution. Think the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

If 20 percent of the world’s accessible water supply is polluted by point source waste dumps, how is the other 80 percent polluted? It is a good question and the answer is that land-based pollutants contaminated that percentage. Think human sewage, fertilizers, chemicals and other substances we’d rather not know about.

Most of this detritus, unless it happens to be treated, will land at the bottom of our rivers, lakes and ponds – the very sources we use to pump our tap water from. Feel like having that glass of water now? Chances are you don’t and rightly so, as polluted water is a major hazard to your health. However, if you have water distillers in your home, you have the best solution to having fresh and clean water on hand and on demand. Perhaps you might also want to have water distillation systems installed in your home and office.

There are a great many people who don’t care that much about the environment, and this is rather odd, since it’s what’s in the environment – put there by humans – that causes water borne sickness. Humans are directly responsible for pollutants in the environment that cause uncontrollable diarrhea that kills at least 1.5 million every year. The other shocking figure is that 13.5 million die every year of different polluted water diseases. And don’t look now, but this isn’t just a problem in developing countries. We have similar problems right here in the U.S.

Our rapidly dwindling water resources are not just a problem for the fish and other animals that live in the murky depths of what we’re trying to clean up to drink. Contaminated water is a human problem that desperately needs to be dealt with before we have none left.

Larry Wardell is with, a provider of water distiller systems and water distillation systems that provide truly pure distilled water. To learn more, visit

Tagged with: , , , , ,