What to Do With Your Homeowners Insurance Policy After a Divorce

Homeowners insurance policies should be reviewed as your life situation changes. After going through a divorce, it’s important for you to amend your homeowners insurance documents.

After you and your spouse got married, it’s safe to assume that you moved in together. Maybe the two of you even bought a house together shortly after tying the knot. If you are now going through a divorce, one of you will probably be moving out of the house you share. It doesn’t matter if you are the spouse keeping the house or if you are the one moving out, you need to be prepared to make the appropriate changes to your homeowners insurance policy.

Depending on who is listed as the owner of the home and whether you or your ex-spouse are moving following a divorce, you may have to make some adjustments to your homeowners insurance policy and fill out appropriate paperwork. Your policy should only have the name of the current homeowner listed.

If you have a mortgage on your home, your insurance policy will require that you list the name and address of the financial institution that currently holds your mortgage account. Make sure that you update the information on the deed, mortgage and homeowners policy if ownership changes after the divorce proceedings. Not updating this information could cause trouble for you in the event that you have to make a claim in the future.

After a divorce, you may wish to change the locks on your house or install a new security system. If you choose to do so, make sure to alert your homeowners insurance company, as you may be eligible for a discount on your premiums for the upgrade in security measures.

Should you or your ex-spouse move to a rental property during or following divorce proceedings, you should consider purchasing renter’s insurance to protect personal items as well as to provide you with liability coverage.

If you are going through a divorce and need to amend your current homeowners policy, purchase a new policy or get renter’s insurance, you should contact a licensed Florida homeowners insurance agent who will help you fine tune your policy or choose another policy that best fits your needs.

Milla Tawnie writes for Orlando auto insurance and Orlando home insurance agency, the Florida Insurance Group. To learn more or to get auto and home insurance quotes, visit FloridaInsurance.com

Tagged with: , , , ,